Home > About Us > Our History
  • Our History

    The Beginning

    For 100 years, Central Bank of St. Louis has been an integral part of the metropolitan community, as both a corporate and civic citizen. Its history and success go hand-in-hand with the growth of St. Louis.

    • We were first organized on October 30, 1902 as the Trust Company of St. Louis County with our first location at 52 South Central.
    • December 13, 1902 was the first meeting of the Bank's Executive Committee. The committee approved the first Certificate of Deposit offered by the company - a 6-month CD at 3%.
    • On March 13, 1903, the Trust Company approved a $4,500 bond to finance the construction of a fence around a site that in 1904 would become the St. Louis World's Fair.
    • July 28, 1903 - The Statement of Condition indicated loans of $145,000, deposits of $60,000 and a capital surplus of $180,000.
    • 1903 - The executive committee approved a loan of $350.00 to a resident of Normandy; a loan which was secured by 3 horses, 6 cows, and 60 hogs. The loan was extended for 90 days at a rate of 8.00%.

    Growth and Expansion

    The Bank continued its careful growth approach throughout the first two decades of the new century. An observation in the minutes of a Board of Directors meeting in 1907 predicted that:
    "Within 1 year, more banking institutions would go out of business than would be established."

    While we don't know who made the statement, it was certainly a prescient forecast of the industry as well as a testament to the staying power of this banking institution.

    • In 1923, we were granted a charter as a national bank and became the First National Bank of Clayton.
    • Despite the stock market crash of 1929, the severe depression of the 1930s, and the severe impact on the banking industry during these troubled times, the Bank remained open.
    • In 1957, the Bank established the first drive-through window in Clayton, and one of the first in the entire metropolitan area.
    • In 1970 the Bank moved to its present headquarters in the Pierre Laclede Center at 7707 Forsyth and was acquired by Central Bancompany of Jefferson City. This was a dramatic change as it greatly expanded its capabilities without sacrificing local decision-making ability and authority – a structure and policy still in place today.
    • In 1984 we changed our name to First National Bank of St. Louis County and, subsequently opened our first location outside of Clayton. Our Chesterfield branch was opened in early 1985.
    • In 1990 we changed our name to First National Bank of St. Louis.
    • 2001 was a banner year for the Bank despite tough economic times. The bank acquired MidAmerica Bank in May of that year and expanded its presence into another fast growing market - this time the O'Fallon, IL market. This marked the first time Central Bancompany or any of its affiliates expanded outside the state of Missouri. 2001 was also the year in which First National Bank of St. Louis reached $1 billion in assets, while remaining profitable and financially sound.
    • In 2007 the Bank merged the First National Bank of Millstadt into the branch network and increased its presence in the metro East. With the completion of the merger, the Bank reached $1.5 billion in assets at year-end.
    • In 2008 we added the Columbia, IL branch location bringing out total to 14 locations serving the metropolitan area.
    • In 2014 we changed our name to Central Bank of St. Louis.

    Looking to the Future

    Today, the bank offers a broad range of products and services to commercial customers as well as residential households throughout the community. We remain as committed to St. Louis as ever with a strong, stable management team. Our mission and our goals remain basically unchanged – to provide the best products and services available with a high level of personalized service.